Friday, November 2, 2012

My story: Part 1

My Mamita (grandma)
Lets start at the beginning of my "expected glamor" complex.  I come from a long line of glamorous ladies, but we'll start at my grandmother so as to not go too far back.  She was a very elegant, proper and modern woman, in spite of the times. I've always thought that she was born in the wrong era... but I'll get to that later.
My grandfather was a prominent diplomat, and my grandma was often compared to Jaquelin Kennedy (whom she met on several occasions).  She ran a large house, raised three strong willed daughters and an intense stepson, later caring and spoiling her grand children, threw big dinner parties for the countries, and sometimes world's biggest political figures, cared for her dogs and cats, moved residences every 8 to 12 years (to different countries sometimes!), ran and participated in several charities, amongst many other things, and managed to do it all looking absolutely flawless and put together, always elegant, never frazzled or out of control. She was the definition of a fabulous and glamorous woman!
I lived with her for some years during my teens, and I remember wondering "how on earth does she do it all!?!".  She used to tell me that the key to being on top was first and foremost to know yourself, your strengths and your weaknesses, and love yourself no matter what. Love and protect your family, because without them you are nothing, be organized, plan ahead and always have a strategy. Do everything you do to the best of your ability, as the fruit of your work is a direct reflection of yourself AND of your mother, and grandmother (wink wink). She believed that being busy, pregnant or feeling ill was not an excuse to act, be or look sloppy.  "Always be at your best, it will make you feel better, and in turn you will be better."  I remember her criticizing those women who got married and let it all go. Once you start a family it is even more important to be put together sweetheart.  You should want to look good for yourself, for your husband and for your children. For yourself: It will make your self esteem stronger, making you more confident and ready to face the worlds challenges. For your husband: None of this sleeping in old raggedy over sized sweats!  You got him, now keep him. Comfort does not have to equal sloppy and unattractive. For your children: You will be their first and most important role model. Teach them to love themselves and to take care of themselves inside and out.  Wise words from a wise woman!! I miss her so much!

1 comment:

  1. LOL. I needed this reminder. I've been slack ever since we started IVF and I gained a little weight (something I'm not used to AT ALL).
    Tomorrow I will go back to being glam.

    P.S. Your grandma was beautiful!

    Visiting from ICLW(#7)

    ReplyDelete