Thursday, November 8, 2012

Broccomole!!!

In my eternal battle against muffin top, recently stepped up thanks to a month of non-stop travel and plenty of Halloween goodies, I'm always on the hunt for new healthy yet TASTY recipes. I usually have the hardest time eating right at parties, specially if I'm hosting (as I tend to pick at everything before my guests arrive -first to make sure its tasty, but then out of pure gluttony).  My husband B wanted to invite a few friends over to watch the Steelers/Giants game last weekend, so I immediately started looking for healthy snack alternatives that would be easy and low key. That's where I found an online recipe for Broccomole - you guest it, a Broccoli based dip made to look like guacamole. I was pretty skeptical, bud decided to give it a try. I did not have all of the ingredients so I improvised and changed it up a bit, but it turned out soooo good, a total success!!  Nice and creamy yet little bit spicy at the end.

I served it with whole wheat pita chips, regular tortilla chips (for those not on a mission against muffin top) and salsa. People actually ate more of my Broccomole than the salsa!!

Here's the recipe with my changes, everyone should try this at home!!!

 
Ingredients:
  • 4 cups chopped broccoli
  • 1 jalapeƱo, chopped, seeds removed
  • 1/2 small white onion chopped
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 3 ounces fat free cream cheese
  • 1/4 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tbs chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/4 tsp salt 
Cooking Directions:
Boil broccoli until its soft (even a little soggy). Drain it out very well and then pat it dry with a paper towel.
Put it in a food processor with the rest of the ingredients until smooth.

Serve warm and enjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. OooOOOOo Dang it! that looks sooo good! I am soo going to give it a try! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If my husband doesn't like the taste of broccoli, will he like this? I think it sounds good, so maybe I'll just make it for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete