Saturday, November 3, 2012

My story: Part 2

So now on to my mom. 

 
 My grandmother had 3 strong willed daughters - my mom was the baby. Having been raised by my grandmother, she grew up with a very healthy self esteem -God I wish I had her self esteem!! She is vibrant, funny, loud, loving, dramatic, beautiful and yes.... you guest it, glamorous! My mom was crowned Miss Costa Rica in the late 70's, and went on to participate in that year's Miss Universe competition, where she made worldwide news as the stage collapsed and pictures of her falling where posted world wide. She even looks fabulously "diva-ish" falling off that stage amidst the other girls. That's how she shines best, being authentic, being her lovely self :)
 
My mother is very outgoing, always the center of attention wherever she goes. All the men want her, all the women want to be like her. She is very funny, and glamorous in an entirely different way than my elegant grandmother. Mami is outspoken, happy, funny and "light". She does everything with such confidence, and there is such a magic around her.  She has no enemies, everyone is her friend and most people love her. Her glass is always half full, and she has the gift of seeing the good in everyone, no matter how awful they may seem (to me anyways).  I admire that trait very much. Mami speaks 4 languages, has traveled all over the world and lived in many different cities. It is very fitting that she has finally settled down in NY, the city that never sleeps, as there is never a dull moment when you are around her.  She is classy but "hot" at the same time, and its all so effortless!!  She has five kids but that has not stopped her from being -and more importantly FEELING fabulous. She reminds me of Sofia Vergara's character in Modern Family.

Two years ago she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer. It was extremely scary for all of us, but she faced it with such optimism and strength -truly inspiring. She was determined to beat the cancer, and continue being fabulous in the process. She went out and got an outrageous red haired wig, totally different from her naturally curly dark brown hair. "I've always wanted to see what I'd look like as a redhead" she said when my siblings and I where staring at the pin straight red haired wig with dramatic bangs. Needless to say, cancer didn't have a chance of dimming my mother down!  She fought for a year and a half, getting all of the treatment prescribed by her doctors, feeling lousy but never down and out.  She would even give pep talks to the people in the chemotherapy session rooms. Every time I went with her, everyone knew her and loved her. The seats next to her in the treatment rooms where always full, and the occupant of that seat always got a good laugh out of their conversations with her. She always managed to look great, despite her ordeal. Getting out of bed, putting on a great pair of heals and a cute outfit was the norm for her. If you didn't know she was battling cancer, you would have never guessed it. Her courage, strength, perseverance and positive attitude are the traits of a true role model. Mami was declared cancer free two years ago, and has been happy, healthy and fabulous ever since. 



1 comment:

  1. truely feeling confidant is something I think that a lot of woman today have lost. Even with all of the "just be you!" shoved down everyones throat, I think women are more insecure now than ever. I dont know why women stop trying unless they are actively searching for a man (or woman is suppose)Then all they talk about is how their partner doesnt like them. Well,.. you did a bait and switch! :D

    Also as you were describing your mother I was also thinking of the woman off of Modern Family

    ReplyDelete